The National Youth Assembly 2017 (NYA 2017) is set to happen on January 25 – 29, 2017 at the Manresa Retreat House in Quezon City. This assembly is the coming together of all the youths from the 8 FI schools in the Philippines-
Manresa School in Paranaque City, Colegio de las Hijas de Jesus in Iloilo City, Colegio de la Inmaculada Concepcion in Pototan; St. James Catholic High School in Maasin, St. Joseph School in Guimaras, St. Candida School in Estancia, Sacred Heart School in Cebu, and Stella Maris Academy in Davao City; and it transpires after 2 years, the last of which was in 2015.
The planning for the NYA 2017 was headed by Sr. Emelinda C. Falsis, FI., together with her core group composed of coordinators from Manresa School namely, Yolanda Cruz, Krisna Gregorios and Cloyd Arbolante. Initial planning took place last August 12 – 13, 2016 where the theme, objectives, and criteria in the selection of participants for the forthcoming assembly were formulated and set.
Theme: Youth on the MOVE: #how2beMORE
1. To accompany the youth in their journey of faith.
2. To cultivate the good characteristics of the youth.
3. To inspire the youth to go through the process of becoming more the person God wills them to be.
4. To foster fraternal spirit among FI school imbibing the Tatak FI: KapatidsaKapwa.
Criteria in Selecting NYA 2017 Student-Participants
1. 6 males and 6 females (Total: 12, 1 male and 1 female will be chosen to form part of the sub-core group)
2. Must belong to Grade 9 – 11 levels
3. A leader
4. Is conversant, flexible, and simple
5. Has good disposition and loves the poor, is inner- directed and self-disciplined
6. Has the capacity to cope with academic activities that will be missed during his/her absence
Criteria in Selecting the Participants’ Companions
1. 2 companions per school: may be a lay or a sister (1 of the 2 companions will form part in the adult sub-core group)
2. The lay companion must be rooted in the values embraced by the congregation
3. Has the capacity to accompany and process the children – conversant
4. Is dynamic and full of vigor and energy
It was also discerned during the initial meeting of the core group that the activities must be planned along with the youth participants, so the Planning Team is created. It is composed of 14 student-leader participants and 7 teacher-companions from the 7 FI schools. This took place last September 2 – 3, 2016.
Brainstorming among the participants from each school took place to discuss the activities that they would like to have and hold during the NYA 2017; all their planned activities were presented to the group and were critiqued, consolidated, then presented to the bigger group for approval by Sr. Lynn, FI.
Logo presentation and explanation of its meaning came in next. School participants presented the pre-made logos based on the theme and objectives of the assembly. All the logos will be under study. The logo which will truly depict the assembly’s theme and objectives will be used as the official NYA 2017 logo.
The planning session has once again proven that there is so much hope on the youth – intelligent, creative, out-spoken, determined, responsible, sensitive,bubbly, oozing with talents and fresh ideas, the future truly lies in their hands, and they have embodied their true mark – Tatak FI: KapatidsaKapwa!.
Emelinda Falsis fi